Peru Chiclayo Mission - March 2013-2015


Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Cold Showers and Chicken Feet Soup!



Family and Friends (: What a week it has been. I don't have too much time so I will hurry up and type as fast as I can!
Well, Tuesday was my trip to Jaen and it was legit but a little sketchy at some parts. Sister Riso gave me a pill so I was okay! But it was like 6 hours through windy mountains! But it was so pretty.

Wednesday in the morning, I took my first fully submerged cold shower because we don't have warm water and it totally sucked! haha but everyday I am getting used to it! We leave with the zone leaders in an apartment. The living room is pretty big but it has to be because there are always missionaries that are staying with us when they have to travel! But one missionary is from Petén Guatemala and the other is from Argentina and they are awesome!

My companion, Elder White is super nice and he is probably the best companion I have ever had! He is just so  kind to others and is so helpful to me. We only talk Spanish about 90 percent of the time! Let me tell you, it is so hard and I miss English so much. These first couple of days have been a little overwhelming for me because of Spanish because everyone only speaks it! haha well of course, but it is so hard for me to understand sometimes. But I will just keep pushing forward. Even though this is crazy hard, I know that it is necessary that I do it. We walk probably 10 miles per day and by the end of the day I am exhausted! There are only motorcyclists here with moto taxis so it is like a race everywhere and it is go go go!! My stomach is pretty much the same! Our lady that cooks for us doesn't really cook that well and so it is hard to adjust but oh well. At least I am being fed!
Every Tuesday and Thursday we travel to a little town named Bellavista and it is crazy! We take a little taxi car and it was filled with about 10 people and it is about 25 minutes away! The scenery is legit though because there are mountains with rice fields and dirt roads everywhere! But trust me, the city shouldn't be named Bellavista because it is not that pretty haha. Well I guess it kind of is, just a little dirty, well a lot dirty! Last Thursday, one dude gave us half of a cake each to Elder White and I and we had to eat it because it was  during a lesson! I felt so sick but I hung in there!

Yesterday a member gave us chicken feet soup! Being that I already hate soup I almost threw up! I put about half of the chicken feet in the Guatemalan Elder's soup bowl because he liked it. 

The branch is pretty well. They didn't really welcome me ha but I am over it. It has been hard having to start over again like meeting new people but it will get better because the word on the street is that I will be here for at least 4 to 6 months! Yesterday out of nowhere it began to down pour and Elder White and I were pretty much walking in the mud and we were soaking wet! Haha it was pretty legit! But all is going well here! I just feel a little overwhelmed about Spanish because every elder speaks it almost perfect besides me and I am mainly just quiet. But I have noticed that Heavenly Father has been blessing me during  lessons because my teaching has increased. We will be having a baptism this week on Saturday and one for sure next week and maybe even two! We are seriously working our butts off.  I feel like there is no time to breathe! But that is the way it should be (:
Waiting outside the home of the lady that does our laundry
That is so amazing about all the blessings that you have all received this past week! Man oh man I miss you all but the mission is so  amazing and I learn  so much. It takes SO much faith and effort but it is worth it because of all the blessings I get to see. You are all amazing and I love you all so much. I sent a letter today out to you all. So who knows when you will get it, but I hope soon. 
I love you. He loves you.
All is bien, here in Jaen!
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment