Peru Chiclayo Mission - March 2013-2015


Monday, May 12, 2014

Planes, monkeys, and old friends--great times!

Wow what a week that I just had!
It was awesome to be able to talk to you guys and hear your voices and see your faces! You all are amazing and have helped me so much on my mission. 
I am so happy that your calling is going great Mom. Well I have only heard great things about each one of your callings that you all have and I know that it is because the Lord really knows who you guys are and needs you guys in specific callings of the church. I hope all of you keep having wonderful spiritual experiences!

Today we went to a museum for PDay. Here are few pictures from our activity there.
 

Tuesday night was my flight to Lima and we left around 10 at night. It was cool though because my first MTC companion, Elder Winward, was there with the group going to Lima.  Anyway we go to Lima at 11 and we expected representatives from the Church to come pick us up to to drive us to a hotel.  But we sat there....and sat there....and sat there......No one came until 2 in the morning! Luckily they bough us some Papa John's Pizza that was delicious!! Finally! American Pizza! We got to the hotel around 3 but I didn't sleep till 4. It was a pretty nice hotel actually.  We woke up the next morning at 7:30 since they let us sleep in a little bit. 

Then we went to the airport and as I arrived to the gate, I saw my first companion that was in the field with me in Arizona, Elder Seymour! We gave each other a huge hug! I haven't seen him for almost a year since he is in the Lima East mission.
 

He told me that the very first family that I taught in Arizona got baptized!! Jose and Elba. I love them so much and it gives me so much joy to hear they are strong in the church! They said they are going to go through the temple next April and that they want me to be there with them.

We then had to go to Ecuador and so we flew to a city called 
Tumbes, the city that is at the very top of Peru. I almost threw up on the plane, haha it was waayyy too bumpy! Speaking of planes...I talked to everyone that I sat by about the Gospel. I guess I am not scared anymore about talking to people about it! We then crossed the border into Ecuador in a big van. We had to do a lot of paperwork since my passport had expired. Then we came back into Peru and did more paperwork. We got back on the plane at 10 at night. Arrived in Lima at 11. Fell asleep at 1:30 am and woke up at 3. So overall about 5 hours of sleep in 2 days! Not that fun!

Honestly this past week, there is not a whole lot to talk about. We have been a little bummed out because we haven't been able to find Suzette yet, she may have traveled to Lima once again...darn it. The sisters in my zone had 2 baptisms and we went to go and see it. Seeing people getting baptized is such a spiritual experience every time. When I got to baptize Jesus Ñique last week, I felt so amazing being in the baptismal font. Just to be standing in the font with a person that you have taught for such a long time, really strengthens your testimony. I love to see people find happiness in this True Church.
Just monkeying around earlier this week!
 

Jesus Ñique is doing sooo awesome. Saturday night he planned to do a Family Home Evening Night with his family. I found this FHE manual and we gave it to him.  He looked up the topic he wanted to discuss and shared everything! It was so legit. He is seriously going to be able to help sooo many people in this church. His family is really amazing. My biggest desire is that they all get baptized. The mom is kind of shy and doesn't really talk. But after the lesson they gave us some dessert and we were able to bond more with them and were able to gain more of her trust. Sadly they didn't attend church yesterday...only Jesus Ñique. But that's okay...little by little.

Laura Sandoval is also doing really well! She is reading the Book of Mormon everyday and is almost done with 2nd Nephi. She also received a calling as the Secretary of the Young Women. So it is perfect for her. She is really happy to be in the church. She also gave us lunch this past Friday. What makes me happy is that the recent converts here are really strong in the church and I can tell that they won't go in active ever. That is what we want as missionaries, true converts, not just whatever person that gets baptized. 

This is the last week of the change. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if I got changed but I have no idea! These past 2 changes have flown by since I have been here! And by the end of this next change, President and Hermana Risso are going home. They have been such an inspiration to me.
That is all for this week. I love you. He loves you
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment