Peru Chiclayo Mission - March 2013-2015


Monday, May 20, 2013

I HAD MY FIRST BAPTISM!!

Hello Everyone!!!
This week was so long, and way short at the same time! We just do so much in one day that by the time we go to bed we are just knocked out! Our investigators are doing very well, I’ll explain later!  Our investigator, Sarah, wasn't home when we went to see her so we hope to go by again this week!
   
That is so crazy about Jordan and Emily already living in California! It's so exciting that they have a home and that they are starting their lives together (: I just love them so much!  They have been a huge help to me so far on my mission!

I miss all my little cousins and their awesome spirits!  I look forward to the day when I can wrestle with them again, haha (: That's awesome about the trees in the backyard! Sounds like there will be another change to the yard too! That's exciting!

I can’t believe that Mark and Davis are already leaving! It's so exciting how many missionaries we have out! Its nuts to me that McKenzie got married and that Demi is getting married too! AWESOME!!
   
Tell Allison congrats on her ballroom concert.  She is way good at dance! Haha, and of course the costumes are amazing! I just think of the Lady Bug Ball costumes when we were little and it makes me crack up!
Well, here goes my week. Last Tuesday we gave a blessing to a 13-year-old boy who was very sick (Diego) he's a recent convert and it was the first blessing he has ever received. He was able to recover by next day and finish his last few weeks of school.

We went to dinner at this member’s house and they have chickens!  We chased them all around.  I caught one! It was a blast. We also went to a huge mansion owned by a member to teach some non-member co-workers who speak Spanish.  We taught them and they really want to learn more! But, they aren't in our mission, so we had to refer them to other missionaries, I hope it goes well!!
 Wednesday, we had a zone conference with President and Sister Ellsworth.  They're so very nice!  The spirit was really strong. The only bad thing is that they leave to go home next change, so it's kinda sad!

We are still teaching the Jimenez Family, I love them so freaking much. They have 6 children 2 of which are old enough to be baptized. The parents have been together for 13 years...but they aren't married!!! So, we don't think they'll be able to make their baptismal date (June 8th) because the Dad, Jose, wants more time to decide on the marriage, so please pray for them! However, they said that they know the church is true, and Jose said that they have had missionaries over before but he didn't like them. He said that he feels something special about us. Hearing that made me so happy, it really made me realize exactly why I need to be here in Mesa, Arizona! They're just so fun to be around and so funny! They offer us rides everywhere, and food and haircuts too! We love them so much!!
   
Friday we had a breakfast meeting with the stake presidency at a member’s house. The member is nuts! She joined the church about a year and a half ago and is about 65.  She got married about 2 years ago to a member of the church. Well, she has a LOT of cats, and I guess they used to be naughty little cats, so she made her husband give them all a blessing! Haha, when she told us about it we all looked at each other like, “ what the heck”...   CRAZY! We all had allergy attacks from so many cats, but we're all better now! That night we played v-ball with the ward, that’s always a lot of fun!! 


Speaking of members, they feed us so much food!! It's crazy! Good thing we ride our bikes everywhere in the blazing heat! It got up to 98 this past week! We drink and lots of water though, so no worries!
Amazing meal! One of many that I get all the time!!
Riding on a member's bike just for fun.
Mom, I think the reason why you thought all those things about me on Saturday was because that day was the best day of my mission so far. (Note from Mom: I kept hearing Jake's cute laughter in my head over and over all afternoon. Now I know why!)  We were riding our bikes around and we were by a Mexican Store and we noticed that this ladies’ car wouldn’t start, so we went over to help her and started up a conversation about the church. She wants us to come teach her this week! She is married and his 3 kids! It was just cool that her car happened to break down right  when we were there! It's like it was meant to be! We shall see what happens.  Her name is Claudia.
Then, I HAD MY FIRST BAPTISM!! His name is Saul and his wife is a member. They have 5 kids and they live in a trailer. I know that the Lord will give them so many blessings now! The Baptism was amazing. Elder Nielson baptized him and then we sang Mas Cerca Dios de Ti. It was so special for me. Also, I understood a lot of Spanish during the program!!
This past week we dropped one of our investigators, Rafaela, (the one who speaks very fast) she just doesn't do anything we invite her to do and she just likes to talk the whole time, so we can’t really teach her anymore!
Spanish is so hard sometimes. Understanding the way they conjugate is kicking my butt. But, every day I get better and better. We study and work so very hard. The lord will bless us. I'll get it one day. But sometimes I get really discouraged because I just want to tell people exactly what I know to be true, but I just can’t speak well enough. I just have to stick with my testimony right now.  I get frustrated, then I remember that this mission isn't about me. I just need to serve the best that I can!
Being in Arizona makes me so happy!  But, two missionaries from our mission got their visas to Peru, and the two that are in Oregon got their visas too!!!  Visas are starting to come! But, I really want to stay so I can see the Jimenez’s be baptized, but we shall see!
Well I love you all so very much and I am happy to hear that you all are doing well! Remember who you are and what you stand for! Thanks for all your prayers and support. You mean the world to me! I miss you all so much and I hope you have an incredible week! Now I'm off to the zoo! I love you and thanks for everything (:
Beautiful Arizona Sunset
Les amo. Dios les ama tambien.
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment