Peru Chiclayo Mission - March 2013-2015


Monday, January 20, 2014

I almost got robbed for the first time!



Mom, Mom, Mom. I don't really know how it feels like, but yeah it is kind of weird that soon we will be all out of the house! But as your kids, we are all thankful for having you guys as our parents who guided us into the gospel and always helped us along the way. How crazy that soon Allison will be going to UVU and that she may even be on the dance team. Good luck on that! Time really does fly! We are all grown up, but you should be proud of yourself on how you did as our Mom while we were in our youth! I have had the opportunity to teach and be with many families on my mission and I just always think of our own family and how great it really is!
 
Anyway this week was a relief for me. In the beginning of the week, we were kind of worried because we don't have too many investigators so we prayed a lot this past week so that could change and that we could find more people to receive this message, whether it be through knocking doors or referrals from members. Wednesday we got some amazing referrals from a member and they attended church yesterday. One is named Jimmy and he is 14 years old, the only bad thing is that his parents work Sundays but at least he came to church. We then received another referral from a member who is 14 and is named Karen. She is cool and interested but such a typical teenager and her mom wants her to change before she gets baptized so we plan on working hard with her.

Oh also yesterday in church, an investigator who is only 9 years old named Helen came to church but the cool part is that she lives like a mile and a half away from the church and usually comes with her aunt, but her aunt moved to Lima. I was quite inspired when I asked her who she came with and she told me that she walked on her own to church! I really want her to get baptized but her parents aren't really supporting her with that. But we will see.

Elder Flores and I taught an amazing lesson yesterday at church to the members on how to give a good referral to us because a lot of them give a name of a person and expect us to go without them but we taught that we need to work together and that they should come with us to teach the lessons and they should pick them up to go to church and at the end of the lesson we gave them books of Mormon and said that they had to give it to a friend this week and that they need to tell us when we can go and teach them if they are interested. The class was way cool and we hope to have even more referrals this week.
Daniel got baptized this last week. He really loves when we go and teach him and he always comes running to us asking us when we are going to come and teach him. All the recent converts that we have had in Morro Solar are very strong and every week attend church and participate, so it has been amazing to be here and see all of that.

We are also hoping on having a baptism this Saturday with a boy named Bryan who is 12 years old. About 3 weeks ago we were in a lesson with Leydi and Mari (recent convert) and he came in and listened and we invited him to come to church and since then he has come to church on his own! We just need permission by his grandma because he lives with her so we plan on doing that tomorrow!

But right now all is going very well. The language has come really well for me these past few months and a lot of people say I am getting a latino accent :) Also the zone leaders are telling us we teach the most during the week and that President Risso is very pleased with the work that we are doing!
Today was an awesome PDay! We played soccer in a huge grass field and it rained the whole time. We also played capture the flag and then went to a sweet Chinese restaurant. The only bad news is that I freaking forgot my camera. But I am kind of happy I did because on the way here to the internet cafe, I almost got robbed...my first time almost getting robbed! We were walking in the street and I had my backpack on, and Elder Flores was on my right side by the side walk, but behind me came a motorcycle with 3 guys on the back. I couldn't really see them but they drove up way close to me and the guy on the back grabbed my backpack strap but I held on to it because I didn't want to let it go. They started to drive fast trying to get away with me running trying to get him off of me, but before it got to fast, I hit the guy on his arm, hard enough that he let go...it was pretty intense and made me a little furious haha but I am glad I got away safe and the guys took off. 
Anyways, I love you all. He loves you
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment