Peru Chiclayo Mission - March 2013-2015


Monday, November 24, 2014

The Power of the Book of Mormon


Translation: "Our pencionist (mission cook) is the best because she bought us pizza!!" She replied, "Everyone come over!"



A little glimpse of what it's like riding a "moto taxi" in the streets of Peru. (Going to Stake Conference)

  Sister Williams baked us all Chocolate Chip Cookies!!!


Another week gone!
The 3rd movie of the Hunger Games came out? Man I have only seen the first one.  I have to do a lot of catching up. But that makes me happy to know that you all got USwirl. That is definitely our family's hangout spot! Love the picture btw! We always had the best of times. For me, it seems not that long ago that we did all that stuff together. But I bet that for you guys it feels a lot longer.

Bummer Jordan for losing in the Turkey Bowl. The Smith family (or any member of the family) should NEVER lose in a Turkey Bowl tournament. Haha just kidding. But I am glad that you had fun in it. Today we played basketball as a District on the court outside of our church and so I guess you could say that was our Turkey Bowl experience. It was a lot of fun playing basketball again. It has been too long and I have definitely lost my skills. I am going to need to get back at it once I get back!! 
 
Before Playing Basketball
 After Playing Basketball

May you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Be sure to eat an extra piece of pie for me because there is no Thanksgiving here in Peru. I also pray that you may be able to see the blessings in your life so that you can be happy for the things you have. While being here in Peru, it has really helped me to be grateful for the things I have. 

Mom that is sooo great that you were able to learn so much from that conference that you went to!! Your thoughts you shared with me are exactly related to what I wanted to write about today. Because I was able to see that by leaving people with scriptures to read, it helps them to obtain a personal testimony of the church and the Book of Mormon. One chapter in Preach My Gospel helps us to understand about the commitments and that we need to leave a commitment in every lesson that we have. This past week especially I was able to see how the Book of Mormon has helped each one of our investigators. Our job as missionaries is to really know the scriptures so that we may able to help the people seek guidance in them. Throughout my mission I have really gotten to know the scriptures. I am still not where I want to be, but I feel comfortable with them so that I can leave the people with scriptures that will strengthen them.

For example I have been praying a lot for Noeli. She has a lot of faith in Christ and she knows that through obedience to the commandments we will be blessed. But I could see that she didn't really trust the Book of Mormon because every time that we would share something from the Book of Mormon, she would ask if that was found in the Bible as well. We were always able to show her in the Bible, but for a person to be converted to the restored gospel, they need to have a testimony of the Book of Mormon. This past Friday we went over and read Alma 32 with them and they absolutely loved it! They really needed to learn more about faith and so we read that chapter together. The whole lesson she would comment on how amazing the scriptures were. But after reading it, and at the end of the lesson, they asked us if we could leave them with something to read about Love and how to control their anger so that they may be more loving. So we left them with Moroni 7 that teaches about Charity and the love of Christ. But that was an answer of my prayers because she now trusts in the Book of Mormon and is excited to read it.

We are also teaching a less active family. Everyone is a member besides the father because he works like 7 hours from here in a mine. But the Mom has been having problems with her family members because they are mocking her for even getting baptized in this church and she doesn't know what to do. We explained to her about how we shouldn't let other people affect our faith because no matter what they say, the truth is the truth and they can't change that. But what helped her most I think is 1st Nephi 8. Where it talks about the tree of life and how some people left the tree after having partaken of the fruit because of the people from the big and spacious building. She was able to apply that to her life. We are hoping to continue to teach and reactivate her.

But other than that everything is going pretty well I guess. We are a little bummed because we couldn't find Elayne. She stayed with her Mom this whole week and so she wasn't home. We hope to find her this week to put a new baptismal date.

That is all for this week. I hope that you all may continue to search your doubts and concerns from Book of Mormon because we can always apply it to our lives!! Thank you so much for the presents that you have sent out! I can't wait to get them. I wish I had the money to send you all a package but we will all just have to wait till I get home to give you guys presents!

I love you. He loves you
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment