Peru Chiclayo Mission - March 2013-2015


Monday, July 14, 2014

The gospel is true. I can feel it, I can see it, and I live it.

What a fantastic week to be honest.
 Man, Ryder has seriously grown so much! I am completely shocked! A pork salad from cafe rio sounds pretty good to me right now since we can't eat pork here. You are all lucky you got to eat that! I don't know if I ever told you but as missionaries we can't eat strawberries, pork, the water obviously, lettuce, and this raw fish dish that they have hear that is called ceviche. It's fish cooked in lime juice. 

That is sooo legit that Jordan was able to get that position as a coach. I bet he will soon work his way up to head coach, that would be really cool. He is really one of my role models in life and I am excited to see the Lord continuing to help him in his life!
What a fun summer that you guys are having! I'm pretty sure that it's hotter in Utah than it is over here because it's getting pretty cold, or I just forgot what cold is haha. I can't believe that BYU football is already starting again...I miss it sooo much. I'm kinda sick of playing and hearing about soccer, it's quite boring. I'm not that good at playing sports with my feet haha. I'm more hand-eye coordinated.

I wrote you guys just last Wednesday in the morning and a lot of amazing things happened since then. I can't even tell you the blessings that we have received here in our area. Wednesday in the afternoon we finally found the parents of Alexis to talk about him getting baptized since he is only 17 years old. At first we were kind of scared and nervous because his dad is kind of strict and intimidating. But we offered a prayer for guidance so that we could reach to his heart and explain about baptism and that it is a huge blessing for all of us to have. We talked to him all about the church and about a true baptism. We really taught with authority and I really felt that we were instruments in the hands of the Lord. At the end of the lesson, his dad really opened his heart to us and he gave permission so that Alexis could get baptized!!!!!!! He also wants us to come and teach him and his family. (:The family of Alexis came to his baptism and it was really amazing to see them there and they all gave him a big hug and we could see that they were really proud of them. I was happy that they supported him. I hope that we will be able to start working even more with them.


Right after that, we picked up Jenny to go to her baptism and she was seriously so happy. An Elder named Elder Noriega baptized her. He is the elder that I replaced because he got called to be an assistant and he found Jenny along with Elder Santos. It was really cool to have all of us there at her baptism to support her. Yesterday I had the opportunity to confirm her a member and give her the Holy Ghost. I have seriously learned so much and I have had so many spiritual experiences.



The family of Alexis came to his baptism on Saturday and it was really amazing to see them there and they all gave him a big hug and we could see that they were really proud of them. I was happy that they supported him. I hope that we will be able to start working even more with them.

I think that I forgot to mention that his best friend named Kevin baptized Alexis. It was pretty neat!

This past week as I went to the temple, I put the names of Alexis and Jenny in the temple. And Elder Chavez and I also fasted so that they could get baptized, and sure enough they both got baptized (: This area is so amazing and my companion and I get along great and we always teach and help each other. I have learned a lot from him.

We just got back from watching Ephraim's Rescue as a zone. Our zone is doing really well and Elder Chavez and I work really well as a companionship, we always try to focus on them and how we can help them. Even though we don't have as much time as we did as normal missionaries, we are still striving to work. The Lord has really helped us. I shared with the zone this past week that sometimes things don't go our way, and that we will meet people that will give up on the gospel, that will say that I don't want to listen anymore, but if we do our part as missionaries, the Lord will help us to meet other people. That is what happened to us with Flor. I thought she would get baptized for sure and suddenly she said that she wanted to go back to the catholic church. I was quite sad after that lesson, but I didn't let that get into my head and we kept working and suddenly, we had 2 baptisms. It was so amazing. My testimony of this gospel has grown so much. This past week I have contacted a lot of people that try to destroy my faith and that have said terrible things of Joseph Smith. But if they would just listen, not only to us, but the spirit more than anything, if they would only read the Book of Mormon, they would know it's true. I always say everyday, this gospel is true. It really is.

I am so thankful for our family. We always support each other in anything and we love each other, and we give counsel to each other because we understand each other. I feel that I have really grown up on my mission and my perspective of life has totally changed. I miss you all. The gospel is true. I can feel it, I can see it, and I live it. I love you, He loves you.
Elder Smith

P.S. Just a funny little note from my new mission president that made me feel good: "Great work, and keep it up. Many eyes are on you and your comp. you are a good man, and leader, you speak well, and know stuff! Thanks. President Wiliams

No comments:

Post a Comment